Gingivitis can lead to gum disease. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a disease that leads to tissue decay around the teeth. As the disease progresses, catastrophic tooth loss can occur.
Greg Wolfe Family Dentistry is here to help you with all your oral health care needs. To help protect you from the dangers of gum disease, here are some risks to keep in mind:
– Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease. Beyond the host of other illness that could potentially arise, smoking can contribute directly to gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease. Chewing tobacco is also another risk factor.
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes have a greater chance for infections, which includes gum disease.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can have a terrible effect on your gums, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Gum disease can be caused by a reduction in saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Hormonal variations in girls and women could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused distinctions in genetics. Some individuals tend to be more genetically susceptible to gum disease than others.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 805-654-1174 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Greg L. Wolfe at our office in Ventura, California. Making your mouth remarkable for many years to come is what we strive to do!